Stand – Walk – Run
- Stand emphasizes your strength, protection, foundation, identity, and so your motivation and confidence—the where one lives (Philippians 4.1). Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.
- Walk emphasizes the regular and progressive movement through life—the how one lives (1 Thessalonians 2.12). So that you would walk in a manner worthy of the God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.
- Run emphasizes the purpose and the goal of life, the finish line—the why one lives (Hebrews 12.1). Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
Stand emphasizes your foundation, strength, protection, identity, and so your motivation and confidence—the where one lives (Philippians 4.1). You should know where you stand; then believe where you stand. Act upon where you stand, for where you stand is your spiritual position of strength. It is your firm foundation. Study Matthew 7:24-28. There Jesus teaches that those who build their lives on him and what he teaches will be like a house built on a great and strong rock. Those who refuse to build their lives on him and what he teaches will be like a house built on unstable sand.
- Believers are told to stand firm in the Lord (God) (Philippians 4.1; 1 Thessalonians 3.8; Romans 14.4).
- Philippians 4:1 Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.
- 1 Thessalonians 3:8 for now we really live, if you stand firm in the Lord.
- Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
- Believers are told to stand firm in grace (Romans 5.2; 1 Peter 5.12).
- Romans 5:2 through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.
- 1 Peter 5:12 Through Silvanus, our faithful brother (for so I regard him), I have written to you briefly, exhorting and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it!
- Stand firm in the gospel (1 Corinthians 15.1).
- 1 Corinthians 15:1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
- Believers are to stand firm in faith (Romans 11.20; 2 Corinthians 1.24).
- Romans 11:20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
- 2 Corinthians 1:24 Not that we lord it over your faith, but are workers with you for your joy; for in your faith you are standing firm.
- Believers are to stand firm God’s word (1 Corinthians 16.13; 2 Thessalonians 2.15).
- 1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
- Believers are to stand firm in the will of God (Colossians 4.12)
- Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always laboring earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God.
- Believers are to stand firm in your spiritual freedom (Galatians 5.1).
- Galatians 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
- Believers are to stand firm in your spiritual heritage (Philippians 1.27).
- Philippians 1:27 Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
- Believers are to stand firm against the enemy (Ephesians 6.11, 14; James 4.7). Ephesians 6:11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. Ephesians 6:14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
- James 4:7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
Walk emphasizes the regular and progressive movement through life; the how one lives (1 Thessalonians 2.12).
- In newness of life, Romans 6:4.
- Romans 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
- By the Holy Spirit, Galatians 5:16, 26
- Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
- Galatians 5:26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.
- In faith, 2 Corinthians 5:7; Hebrews 11.6
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 for we walk by faith, not by sight—
- Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
- In God’s word, truth, 3 John 3-4
- 3 John 3 For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth. John 4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
- In the light, 1 John 1:7
- 1 John 1:7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
- In the status quo, 1 Corinthians 7:17
- 1 Corinthians 7:17 Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk. And so I direct in all the churches.
- In the fear of the Lord, Acts 9:31
- Acts 9:31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase.
- In love, Ephesians 5:2
- Ephesians 5:2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
- In my present maturity, Philippians 3:16
- Philippians 3:16 however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.
- In God’s good works plan, Ephesians 2:10
- Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
- Wisely, Ephesians 5:15
- Ephesians 5:15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,
- Worthy, Colossians 1:10
- Colossians 1:10 so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
Run emphasizes the purpose and the goal of life, the finish line—the why one lives (1 Corinthians 9.24-27; Hebrews 12.1).
- 1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 1 Corinthians 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 1 Corinthians 9:26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 1 Corinthians 9:27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
- Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,