Basic Christian Way of Life Basic Techniques—Umbrella, Doctrine and Demonstration
Basic Christian Way of Life Basic Techniques—Umbrella, Doctrine and Demonstration. Also see Bible Doctrine 1
Jesus taught the basics in John 13-17 to the disciples so that they would know how to live after he left. The principles are also for us; we follow the apostles, though none of us are apostles. The successful Christian life depends upon the application of these doctrines. I have selected verses from John’s gospel, and from the epistles in which the apostles expanded the teaching. The general truths are illustrated in many passages of Scripture, though specific church doctrine was not revealed in the Old Testament. I refer you to the Umbrella booklet and to that section in Bible Doctrine 1.
- Occupation with Christ-Love for God, center of attention, obedience-application.
- Doctrine. Hebrews 12:2; Galatians 2:20; Luke 10:27; John 14:6, 21; 1 John 5:1-3; Philippians 4:4.
- Demonstration. Daniel in Daniel 1, loyal obedient love for God; Mary, John 12:1-3 and Matthew 26:6-13; Jesus follows the Father’s will, Matthew 26:36-39; Jesus close fellowship and obedience to the Father, John 17; Paul, Philippians 3:7-14
- Knowledge of God’s word. Know-believe-apply; revelation, faith, courage.
- Doctrine. 2 Peter 3:18; Romans 6:6-14; John 16:1,4.
- Demonstration. David, Psalm 19; the writer of Psalm 119; Daniel, Daniel 9:1-2; 10:12 with Jeremiah 25:11-12 and Jeremiah 29:1-14; Paul from a Roman prison, 2 Timothy 1:8-12.
- Faith and Rest. Know-believe-apply, rest and peace. Revelation + faith -> courage, rest, peace
- Doctrine. Hebrews 4; Hebrews 11; 1 Peter 5:7; Romans 8:28-39; John 15:27.
- Demonstration. Caleb and Joshua, Numbers 13-14 (Numbers 13:2 with Numbers 14:8-9); Job, Job 19:23-27; Jeremiah, Lamentations 3; Paul in the shipwreck, Acts 27 (Acts 27:25).
- Confession of Sin for Fellowship when necessary. Cleansing -> friendship with God.
- Doctrine. 1 John 1:9; John 13:1-11.
- Demonstration. Levitical priests before entering the tabernacle and serving God, Exodus 30:17-21, 40:30-32; David, 2 Samuel 11-12, Psalm 51, Psalm 32; Daniel, Daniel 9:3-19.
- Living by the Holy Spirit. Faith dependence for power and productivity.
- Doctrine. Galatians 5:16; Romans 8:1-5; John 14:26; Ephesians 5:18.
- Demonstration. Saul, 1 Samuel 9:27-10:14; 16:14; David, 1 Samuel 16:13; Psalm 51:11; Zerubbabel, Zechariah 4; Jesus, Luke 4; Paul, Acts 9:17 for ministry, and in his message to the Ephesian elders, Acts 20:17-24.
- Prayer. Talking with our heavenly Father.
- Doctrine. Colossians 4:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; John 16:24-27.
- Demonstration. Daniel , Daniel 9:3-19; 10:12; Jesus, John 17; believers praying for Peter who was in prison, Acts 12:1-19.
- Ministry and Love. God’s plan, spiritual power, spiritual gifts, love, humility, spiritual warfare.
- Doctrine. 1 Peter 4:8-11; Ephesians 5:2; John 13:34-35; 17:17-20.
- Demonstration. Moses at first doubted even though God provided for his ministry, Exodus 3-4 and the plagues in Exodus 7-12; Jesus’ ministry with children, Mark 10:13-16; Jesus and Lazarus, John 11; Stephen’s Bible class in Acts 7:1-53 and his love for those rejecting Messiah and stoning him in Acts 7:59-60.